Forums › Forums › RC6 With Dashcam & ThirdEYE › RC6 installation on BMW R1200GS Adventure 2017 – rear radar/camera position and

  • RC6 installation on BMW R1200GS Adventure 2017 – rear radar/camera position and

    Posted by Miguel Angel on 2026-09-08 at 01:24

    Hello,

    I have purchased an INNOVV RC6 and I am going to install it on a 2017 BMW R1200GS Adventure (LC/K51).

    The motorcycle has the original BMW aluminium side panniers and a GIVI Trekker Outback 58L top case, mounted on a GIVI SRA5112 aluminium rack.

    I would appreciate some advice regarding two parts of the installation:

    1. Rear RC6 radar/camera position

    Where would INNOVV recommend installing the rear radar/camera unit on this motorcycle?

    My main concern is finding a position that:

    • gives the radar the correct unobstructed field of view;
    • is not obstructed by the BMW aluminium panniers or the GIVI 58L top case;
    • gives the rear camera a good view;
    • does not obstruct the visibility of the original BMW rear/brake light.

    The GIVI SRA5112 rack extends further rearwards than the original BMW top-case rack, so I am particularly concerned about mounting the RC6 unit underneath the rack and accidentally obscuring the brake light.

    If anyone has installed an RC6/ThirdEYE on a R1200GS Adventure or R1250GS Adventure with a similar top-case setup, photos or recommended mounting positions would be very helpful.

    2. Yellow ACC wire

    The RC6 installation manual says that the yellow wire must be connected to the ACC wire.

    Where do you recommend connecting the yellow ACC wire on a 2017 BMW R1200GS Adventure LC/K51 with CAN-bus?

    Is there an existing BMW switched 12V/ACC connection that INNOVV recommends (for example the BMW navigation/GPS connector), or should the RC6 ACC signal be connected elsewhere?

    I would prefer not to cut or splice into the original BMW wiring harness if this can be avoided.

    I can provide photos of the motorcycle, GIVI SRA5112 rack, top case and mounting areas if required.

    Thank you.

    Hans replied 2 days, 10 hours ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Hans

    Administrator
    2026-09-26 at 20:01

    Hi Miguel,

    The radar has a wide field of view and only reacts to objects moving relative to the radar itself. Mounting it beneath the top case shouldn’t be a problem (though I don’t own an R1200GS myself, so I have no hands-on experience with this specific model). You can test for yourself whether the RC6 obstructs the taillight—making it invisible—by simply holding the RC6 in front of the brake light.

    Connecting the yellow wire to a switched power source does not affect CAN-bus operation. For instance, you could use the license plate light’s power supply as the switched source. In principle, it doesn’t matter which switched wire you use to connect the yellow wire. However, keep in mind that on BMWs, certain switched circuits may retain power for 30 to 60 seconds after the ignition is turned off; this can be misleading when taking measurements. Soldering the yellow wire to a switched wire allows you to keep the original wiring intact.

Log in to reply.