K2 Motorcycle Dashcam install on a 2018 Harley Ultra Limited (FLHTK)

A few words and pics of a K2 motorcycle dashcam install on my 2018 Harley Ultra Limited (FLHTK).

With pre-planning install was fairly straight forward, the only major components I had to remove were the front fairing, tank, seat and left side bag.

Don’t get too freaked out about the tank removal, it’s really not that difficult, just 6 bolts, 1 screw, a plug, drain hose and a quick release fitting … a tip, the less fuel you have in the tank the lighter it is.

Also I did partially pop the wiring chase under the tank to ensure the wires weren’t pinched when routing, it’s an easy opening, just some plastic tabs to release.

Thanks to HarleyFool this is a great place to position your GPS antenna.

Cameras … again some thought required.

For the front I ended up placing it under the fairing by drilling a hole in the plastic and using a larger fender washer (on the inside) to distribute the load better.

I also used a chainsaw file to file a notch in the fairing where the wire goes thru between the chrome and the fairing so as not to pinch the wire.

For the rear camera I just mounted to the stud that holds the trunk on, I originally mounted it tighter to the trunk however I did get some of the trunk showing in the vids, where it is now is clear of the trunk and the cam is still barely visible.

I routed the cam and gps wires from the front fairing under the tank just like all the other cabling from under the front fairing, the rear cam wire I routed along an existing wiring harness under the seat on the left side, just make sure it’s not getting pinched anywhere when the seat is back on with your weight on the seat.

Oh, and cable tie everything, I also used some wire loom in spots I though there could be a rubbing issue.

There is lots of room under the seat to place the power module so I didn’t take pics of that, the only caveat there is make sure it’s close to where you are wanting to position the DVR as the wires are short.

I ran the fused power direct to the battery, the intermittent power I tapped into the rear lights.

Give your DVR placement a lot of thought before you start anything. I did originally place mine on the ABS module under the right side cover (a YouTube vid suggestion) however I found it produced a lot of fluid noises on the recordings as the ABS works it’s magic … so back to the drawing board. I finally decided to put it in the back pocket on my backrest.

While this isn’t the ideal place (cause you have to disconnect the DVR when you remove the seat/backrest) I don’t do that a lot so for now it’s ok. I do like HarleyFools placement in the lower pouch and may re-position one boring day in the winter but for now I like where it is.

Audio … when inside the backrest pouch the recording picks up some of the exhaust note if I’m on the throttle otherwise pretty silent, I have tried having the side with the mic popped out of the pouch and it seems to pick up a bit more of the tone.

To date all has gone well except for a bum Samsung EVO Select 256g sd card I got from Amazon, went south in only a few days, nothing would recognize the card, happily I could return it to Amazon and replaced it with a Lexar, so far so good.

I have to say I was pretty impressed that the video imaging is stable given the vibration a Harley happily produces, the earlier GoPros had a hard time dealing with it but the K2 dashcam seems to have no problem.

Hope this helps, any questions or improvement suggestions welcome!

Related Articles

INNOVV K1 Motorcycle DashcamSystem Installation on 2008 Goldwing

My goals in mounting INNOVV K1 motorcycle dashcam system were to have easy access to the memory card and the trigger button to save video segments. I also wanted to minimize any interference the wiring would present during disassembly of the bike for servicing (removing plastic panels, etc.). My starting point was the following video, which places the recorder in the rear top case.

MO Tested: INNOVV K3 Motorcycle Dashcam Review

Back in 2016, I reviewed the INNOVV K1 dashcam and really liked it with one exception, a lack of weatherproofing. Next, we tested theINNOVV K2, finding it much improved. Well, the INNOVV K3 motorcycle dashcam is here, and it has reached what I consider to be peak functionality as a motorcycle dashcam. Regular commuters in urban areas should consider this as an option to use to protect yourself from false claims in the case of a mishap.

Responses